Hello guys our today’s topic is how we can improve air quality index and protect ourselves from air pollution.
With the pace our world is urbanising, trees are being replaced by tall buildings and skyscrapers which is resulting in poor air quality and environmental pollution. Besides lesser trees, fumes from cars, appliances, toxics from artificial fertilisers and chemicals all are major causes of air pollution.
Our health depends on what kind of food we eat, the water we drink and air we breathe.
It can decline when the air quality is poor, or a smog warning (yellowish fog containing harmful gas and particles) is in effect. The effects of air pollution may vary according to each person’s level of sensitivity. Thus, air quality has a massive role in our overall health and wellness.
But we can save our environment and improve air quality by altering our old ways and following some simple techniques. It does not always have to be expensive air purifiers and smart air cleaning gadgets. By taking some simple measures, we can all improve the quality of the air we breathe.
11 tactics to improve air quality inside your home
- Use means of transport that can help reduce the toxins in the air such as public transport, bike, walking, electric scooter, carpool etc.
- Limit the usage of fireplaces and wood stoves in the winter as such appliances are one of the significant causes of smog and poor air quality during the winter season. Use other ways of heating instead, i.e. natural methods such as warmer clothes, coffee, soups, or use an electric heater. If you do use them, ensure that you clean and maintain these appliances properly.
- Buy appliances that meet environmental performance standards (CSA or EPA certification). These appliances discharge fewer particles in the air.
- Tightly seal the containers of domestic cleaners, chemicals in your garage, and fertilisers to prevent unstable compounds from evaporating and dissolving with the air.
- Save energy by turning off lights, computers, and electric appliances when not in use.
- Use electric or hand-powered lawn care equipment as it will release fewer toxins and gas in the air.
- One of the most important thing for improving air quality is the paints we use to decorate our homes and offices contain a lot of harmful chemicals that are responsible for worsening our quality of air. Purchase water-based or solvent-free paints and buy products that say, “low VOC”.
- Plant trees as much as you can. If you don’t have an area for a big backyard then plant seeds in small pots or make a kitchen garden. Having plants near you will guarantee purified and clean air. Bamboo Palm, English Ivy, and Gerbera Daisy are some of the best-known air purifying plants to improve air quality index.
- For improving indoor air quality, make sure your house is properly ventilated.
- Use beeswax candles as they have air purifying qualities and are 100% natural. They not only remove contaminants from your home but smell good too.
- Many furniture items are made with adhesives that release toxins into the atmosphere, long after they have left the factory. This kind of slow poisoning can result in poor air quality.
Choose your furniture wisely. Ask what manufacturing techniques and products are used to make your selected furniture. Avoid purchasing items made from particle board.