After finalizing Windows 10 version 1803, Microsoft has shifted focus to Redstone 5 builds. ICYMI, Redstone 5 builds were already available since March to Skip Ahead Insiders and with Build 17651, it was made available to all Fast ring Insiders.
Continuing with Redstone 5 builds, Microsoft released 17666 Build which includes a large number of new features. As Microsoft Build’s conference is underway, the features showcased during it are included with this build release.
Here is what is new with RS5 Builds:
- Set Improvements
- More Acrylic Design
- Recent Tabs in Edge are shown by Alt+Tab
- You can now mute web tabs.
- Improvements to opening Tab
- Miscellaneous Improvements
- New Clipboard experience:
- Win+V would bring a new clipboard experience where recently copied text would be shown.
- New Clipboard experience in the Settings app.
- The dark theme to File explorer.
- Notepad Improvements:
- Supports line endings of Linux and MacOS
- New Search with Bing feature
- Search previews in Cortana have been improved to show apps, files etc.
- New Start Tile folder option.
- New FAQs are available on the right sidebar of the Settings app powered by Bing.
- [Fixed] an issue with dll from the previous flight that could result in explorer.exe crashing every few minutes.
- [Fixed] an issue resulting in VPN potentially not working after updating to the previous build.
- [Fixed] an issue from the previous build where apps may appear to be missing in secondary accounts after receiving app updates from the PC’s primary account.
- [Fixed] an issue from the previous flight resulting in a bugcheck with the error IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in tcpip.sys.
- [Fixed] an issue where a border would be visible when you maximized windows in the last few flights.
- Updated the design of This PC so that there’s no longer space displayed for the cloud files state icon (which isn’t relevant on this page).
- The snipping toolbar (with WIN + Shift + S) will now follow your desired theme, light or dark.
- [Fixed] an issue that could result in the Emoji Panel and the touch keyboard not displaying correctly if invoked immediately after restarting explorer.exe.
Known Issues with the Build:
- If your PC appears stuck at “Preparing to install…” somewhere between the 80%-100% in Windows Update – please be patient and wait up to 30 minutes (or in some cases – longer than 30 minutes) for this stage to complete.
- After completing the Windows Mixed Reality First Run experience, OOBE is black. Motion Controllers are also not recognized in exclusive apps. For Insiders who want to keep Windows Mixed Reality working – you might want to consider hitting pause on taking new Insider Preview builds until these issues are fixed. You can pause Insider Preview builds by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program and pressing the “Stop Insider Preview builds” button and choosing “Pause updates for a bit”.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
- We’re aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we’re working on a fix.
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.
More information about this Build can be found here:
You can download this build through Windows update only.
This post was created with our nice and easy submission form. Create your post!